The product, simply named Covid-19, adds several Covid-19-related elements to Hollard Travel Insurance’s existing cover that already includes cover for medical treatment while overseas and cancellations due to an unexpected illness.
Covid-19 is a newly identified coronavirus – a large family of zoonotic viruses – that has infected more than 80 300 people and caused more than 3 000 deaths across the world since it was first reported in China on 31 December 2019, according to the World Health Organization’s 3 March 2020 update. While its spread is slowing down in mainland China, it is picking up elsewhere and has reached every continent except Antarctica. The mortality rate is around 2%.
Covid-19’s spread is presenting the travel industry with an unprecedented global challenge, one that changes daily. Hollard Travel Insurance continues to monitor advice and guidelines set out by relevant health authorities.
“We feel strongly that travel insurance needs to adapt to an ever-changing environment. Containing the spread of unnecessary panic is as important as stopping the virus itself and we are focused on delivering peace of mind to all our travellers with the above product,” says Oojah Travel Protection Managing Director, Uriah Jansen. As a specialist underwriting manager, Oojah administers travel insurance policies on behalf of Hollard.
In developing the Covid-19 product, Hollard Travel Insurance consulted with experts. The additional cover is designed to respond to concerns regarding international travel:
- Reimbursement for proactive testing for Covid-19, irrespective of whether there is a manifestation of symptoms or not
- Cancellation cover has been expanded to include cover specifically for:
- Cancellation or curtailment if a city listed in your itinerary has been isolated by state authorities due to the disease
- Cancelled flights. A number of airlines have cancelled flights. We understand they may reimburse clients for the flights; however, our policy will reimburse non-refundable accommodation costs due to the cancellation of flights
- Event cancellation. A number of large global events have been cancelled in the last few days, and if an event you have booked travel for has been cancelled, we will reimburse you for non-refundable flights and accommodation but excludes the cost of your visa
- If your flight has been delayed due to a medical emergency on board, we will reimburse additional expenses incurred during the delay for the purchase of food, drinks and accommodation
- Repatriation to South Africa. If at any time you want to return to South Africa earlier than booked due to the threat of Covid-19 being reasonably present in your destination or transit city, we will reimburse the penalties/fees to change your airline ticket
To access Covid-19 travel protection, select the Covid-19 option on the Hollard Travel Insurance website at www.hollardti.co.za or on https://www.hollard.co.za/other-products/travel-insurance.
All clients and agents are advised to contact Hollard on 011 351 4531 or email@example.com.