Hollard Foundation Trust
The Hollard Insurance Group established the Hollard Foundation Trust in 2006, from which time Hollard has been supporting the Foundation financially, through employee involvement and volunteering and participation on its Board.
We realise the importance for children and society of investing in children's foundation years (0-9 years old) and so the Foundation’s and our focus is on the health, nutrition and education needs of children in this age group in the Midvaal, a large municipal area south of Johannesburg, providing them with the opportunity to achieve their full potential in life. This is done via the Kago Ya Bana programme in Midvaal.
The Foundation's extensive engagement in Midvaal has been a transformative experience for all stakeholders – the children, their families, the community, Hollard, the Foundation, and for the Midvaal Municipality. There has been a positive social impact on the development of children, restoring hope in young people by strengthening social service delivery systems and building community partnerships.
Harnessing the energy and caring spirit of our staff is an integral success factor of our corporate social investment programme.
Besides channelling Hollard's substantial funding commitment to the Foundation, our CSI programme actively supports the Foundation's initiatives through our Employee Volunteering Programme (EVP). This gives Hollardites a range of opportunities to volunteer in a variety of ways, including working in teams and adopting Foundation-supported projects. Other pillars of our EVP include a payroll-giving programme, grants to community upliftment programmes supported by individual staff members in their personal capacity, in-house collection campaigns and support of national CSI days.
Hollardites spend time at various after-school care centres, early childhood development centres, homes for orphans and vulnerable children and schools. They participate enthusiastically in:
- Physical activities – sports days, painting and maintenance of facilities, sanding desks, planting vegetables and the like
- Skills transfer – volunteering their skills at schools and other projects and in the communities in the form of savings education programmes, PC training, CV-writing and interview skills, mentoring and support
- Care, health and nurturing – interacting and assisting with the needs of the children, assisting the Foundation with their weighing and measuring programme and helping to build social cohesion
Current and past areas of CSI focus
- Early Childhood Development (ECD)
- Primary and secondary schools
- After-school care centres
- Homes for children infected with HIV/AIDS
- Healing through the arts child and youth centre
- Streetwise Finance
- Support of the annual Rally to Read in partnership with McCarthy and the Read Educational Trust – we have sponsored and participated since 2001
- Thuthuka Bursary Fund through the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Hollard CSI Market Days – each year we host a day for the 19 NPOs supported via our Payroll Giving programme to create awareness and support for what they do and have an opportunity to sell their produce for fundraising purposes.