Pay As You Drive
Get comprehensive car insurance with Pay As You Drive and pay only for the actual kilometres you drive. This means you can save on motor insurance premiums and still have the same comprehensive cover on your vehicle.
Pay As You Drive is as simple as choosing the DrivePlan option that suits your typical monthly mileage. Even if you exceed your selected monthly kilometres, you can use the previously unused kilometres in your DriveSave auto Account and then, when the DriveSave account is depleted, pay per kilometre.
Key Benefits of Pay As You Drive Car Insurance:
- Pay As You Drive is a comprehensive car insurance
- If you don’t use your car much you can save on car insurance
- Six mileage options to choose from – depending on how much you travel
- You only pay for the distance your car travels each month
- If you don't use all the mileage you've bought, we can save it for another day
Pay As You Drive is right for you, if:
- You’re at least 25 years old
- You’ve had your driver's licence for more than 1 year
Step 1: Choose your cover
Since you only pay for the distance the insured vehicle travels each month, you can choose the Pay As You Drive motor insurance DrivePlan that best suits your needs.
Note: Once the packaged DrivePlan kilometres have been used, additional kilometres are charged on a rate per kilometre basis.
Step 2: Choose your data collection/tracking device
Each vehicle insured by Pay As You Drive motor insurance needs to have a data collection device installed, in order to measure the correct mileage used. We offer three data collection devices:
Note: This is not required for the Pay As You Drive DriveMax motor insurance option.
Step 3: Manage your Pay As You Drive account
- You'll receive monthly statements detailing each trip the insured vehicle travelled in the previous month, as well as a breakdown of all kilometre transactions
- Included in the monthly statement is a recommendation based on the typical kilometres travelled by the insured vehicle. So, if on average you travel more or less than your selected DrivePlan, Pay As You Drive will recommend a more appropriate DrivePlan
- Any unused kilometres in a month are retained in your DriveSave account and can be used to offset high mileage months at a future date. In addition, for the first 12 months, Pay As You Drive adds 10% bonus kilometres per month to act as a safety net for those months when you exceed your DrivePlan kilometres
- If you have exhausted the kilometres in your DriveSave account, Pay As You Drive will automatically bill you for the balance on a rate per kilometre basis (DrivePlus rate)
- In the event that you have an unusually high kilometre month, Pay As You Drive ensures you won't pay more than the unlimited mileage option, DriveMax
A feature of our previous product was that you lost any kilometres you didn't use in a specific month. By introducing the DriveSave Account into our product we are now able to "save" and keep record of any unused kilometres for your use in the future.
So, yes, this new feature provides our customers with greater transparency and value for money than the previous version of the product.
If you consistently travel more or less than the DrivePlan Kilometres included in your option you might want to give our Customer Services team a call (0861 01 02 03) so that we can migrate you to a more appropriate DrivePlan Option.
You will receive a monthly trip log and statement which will indicate the premium due for any DrivePlus Kilometres travelled ? that being the kilometres travelled in excess of the packaged kilometres in your DrivePlan. The DrivePlus premium will be collected with your usual premium in the following month.
We have no doubt that being able to scrutinise all your monthly trips is something only the analytical customers will enjoy doing. But even if you're not an analytical type of customer, you might find cost saving opportunities by checking out how many unnecessary trips you travel on a monthly basis.
Please note that the SkyTrax unit comes with a three year contract between yourself and Tracker and the contract terms need to be fulfilled ? even if you sell the vehicle.
The SkyTrax unit can also be transferred to your new car for a small fee. If the new buyer wants to keep the Tracker in the car they can take out a new contract with Tracker.
The Grace Period Kilometres are free and can only be used in the first two months of the policy after which time; any remaining Grace Period Kilometres will expire.
Comprehensive car insurance doesn't get more flexible than Pay As You Drive.
- Cheaper premiums because with PAYD motor insurance you only pay for the distance you travel
- Free Accidental Death cover of R15,000 in the event that the PAYD policyholder dies in an accident in the insured car
- Up to R10 million for third party liability cover that pays damages, legal costs and expenses should you become legally liable following an insured event; i.e. an accident in which damage or injury is caused to a third party
- Free 24-hour emergency assistance, including towing, roadside and medical. PAYD policyholders simply call 0861 000 911
- 1 month of free DrivePlan kilometres (called Grace Period Kilometres) to provide a safety net in the event that you underestimate your typical monthly mileage. Grace Period Kilometres kick in if you exceed your DrivePlan kilometres during the first two months of your policy and expire after the first two month period
- 10% bonus kilometres for the first 12 months. These will be added to your DriveSave account and can be used when you exceed your monthly travel distance. Subsequent allocation of bonus kilometres will depend on claims and driver behaviour
1 Notify us
- All you need to do is notify us of your intent to claim on 0861 010 203 within 24-hours after the event. If this isn't possible, please call us within 30 days of the event.
2 Notify the police
- They'll log the incident and give you a police reference (case number), which we'll need to process your claim.
3 Submit documents
- You'll need to submit all the requested claims documents and supporting documents to us. To help you, a dedicated claims specialist can guide you through the process and let you know of any excess premiums payable. Supporting documents include:
- A copy of your South African identity document
- A description of the incident
- The police reference (case number)
- A copy of your South African driver's license, or a valid SADC license
4 We'll contact you to notify you of the outcome of your claim
To make a Pay As You Drive claim
Read our easy to follow steps about how to make a Pay As You Drive claim.
To update your Pay As You Drive policy
If you need to amend or renew your Pay As You Drive policy, please contact Hollard on the details listed below:
To get a Pay As You Drive quote
There are many ways to get a quote from Hollard: